My company is facing the decision whether to purchase SQL Server 2012 Denali or SQL Server 2008 R2 for a new database server. I am looking for objective reasons to choose one over the other.
- Standard edition (for financial reasons and a lack of need for enterprise features)
- OLTP workload (this means we don't need the new windowing functions and column store indexes)
- Database size of 10-100 GB
- No business intelligence features needed. Only the relational engine is required
- Synchronous Database Mirroring
Currently, the following reasons are known to me:
SQL Server 2012 Denali
- Newest version available
SQL Server 2008 R2
- Proven technology
I can't seem to find a lot of technical reasons to prefer one over the other. Basically, it comes down to choosing proven technology that is running successfully vs. the newest and greatest version available.
What are objective reasons to make the decision?