By Jason S

2019-02-06 19:47:55 8 Comments

Is there a name for words like whatchamacallit, doohickey, thingamabob, doodad, thingamajig, whatsit, etc.?

Somehow it seems like there should be a word to describe the general term for a word that you use for referring to something when you cannot remember what it is called.

(Computing names like foo, bar, baz are examples of metasyntactic variables but those are a slightly different category.)


@traktor53 2019-02-06 23:15:27

Although not a single word, you can call them "Vague Expressions"

. . .
We can use vague expressions when we are not sure of the name of something.
. . .
› Spoken English
In very informal speaking, we sometimes say /ˈwɒtʃjəməkɔ:lɪt/, /ˈwɒtʃjəməkɔ:lɪm/, /ˈθɪŋəmi/, /ˈθɪŋəmədʒɪg/... []

The grammar article doesn't list all the question examples but I think they can be safely put in the same category. I am unaware of there being a single word with the precise meaning of "vague expression".

If you wanted to use a synecdoche figure of speech you could call them, say, "something-or-others" as in "Their explanation used too many something-or-others instead of the correct words for things".

@Mitch 2019-02-06 23:46:56

If 'it' is the concept, then it -is- a vague expression, but that's not what you -call- it. And we're looking for what you call it.

@Laurel 2019-02-06 20:04:22

These are placeholders:

placeholder is a word (such as whatchamacallit) used by speakers to signal that they don't know or can't remember a more precise word for something. Also known as a kadigantongue-tipper, and dummy noun.

@Jason S 2019-02-06 21:02:46

that would be a reasonable answer... except that if I look up placeholder in a dictionary I get no reference to whatchamacallit, etc. (see and

@Hugo 2019-02-06 21:19:20

@Kamil Drakari 2019-02-06 21:38:17

@JasonS You seem to have given the same link twice. Also, doesn't typically give examples in that sense; a Ford Fiesta is a car even though it isn't mentioned at

@barbecue 2019-02-07 01:54:37

I was surprised by @JasonS's comment, but I checked a few dictionaries and found that a surprising number of them refer to placeholder as being either mathematical or political terminology. As a long-time native speaker, I am 100% sure this word is much more widely used than in just those specific fields. It's very easy to find countless examples in popular culture, literature, science, sports, etc.

@JMac 2019-02-07 14:25:25

@barbecue What seems especially strange to me is that I've rarely, if ever, seen it used in the two contexts given. In math, generally the term "placeholder" was quickly replaced with "variable" in most instances. I don't think I've ever heard of someone in a political position referred to as a "placeholder" under those circumstances.

Related Questions

Sponsored Content

3 Answered Questions

1 Answered Questions

2 Answered Questions

[SOLVED] What is it called when we speak of foods using brand names?

7 Answered Questions

1 Answered Questions

2 Answered Questions

2 Answered Questions

[SOLVED] Term for forgetting names

8 Answered Questions

[SOLVED] One word for "putting it together"

2 Answered Questions

Sponsored Content